Deniz T. Kılınçoğlu is an intellectual, cultural, and economic historian of the long nineteenth century with a particular interest in the Ottoman Empire. He received his Ph.D. in Near Eastern Studies from Princeton University in 2012.
Deniz’s research explores the interplay between ideas and social reality. In this regard, his academic publications have focused on two main issues: the interaction between ideas and social change, and the intercultural circulation of ideas and values (and their social and political implications).
At Lichtenberg-Kolleg, Deniz is working on a book manuscript on nationalism and emotions. He is also developing a digital history project on 19th-century travelogues about the Middle East.
Selected Recent Publications:
- İslam, İktisat, Ordu ve Reform: Osmanlı İmparatorluğu’nda İlk İktisat Eseri ve Tarihsel Bağlamı [Islam, Economics, Army, and Reform: The First Economic Treatise in the Ottoman Empire and its Historical Context]. Istanbul Bilgi University Press. 2018.
- Economics and Capitalism in the Ottoman Empire, London: Routledge. 2015.
- “The Dawn of Ottoman Popular Political Economy: The Turkish Translations of Otto Hübner’s Der Kleine Volkswirth.” Journal of the History of Economic Thought 41, no. 3: 351–67. 2019.
- “İbn Haldun: Sistem Kuran Düşünür” [Ibn Khaldun: System Builder]. In İktisat Sosyolojisi [Economic Sociology], edited by A. A. Eren and E. Kırmızıaltın. Heretik Yayınları. 2018.
- “Studying Economics as War Effort: The First Economic Treatise in the Ottoman Empire and its Militaristic Motivations.” In War in the History of Economic Thought: Economists and the Question of War, edited by Y. Ikeda and A. Rosselli. London: Routledge. 2017.
- “İktisadi Düşünce Tarihi Kaynağı Olarak Edebiyat: Geç Osmanlı İmparatorluğu’ndan Üç Örnek” [“Literature as a Source for the History of Economic Thought: Three Examples from the Late Ottoman Empire”]. In İktisat ve Diğer Bilimler [Economics and Other Disciplines], edited by Ç. Boz, K. Öğüt, and A. D. Bozkurt. İstanbul: İletişim Yayınları. 2017.
- “Islamic Economics in the Late Ottoman Empire: Menâpirzâde Nuri Bey’s Mebâhis-i İlm-i Servet.” The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought 24 (3): 528–54. 2017.